Reflections on bibliographic Research for the Essay: Can a child be considered a multimedia artist in the 21st century? How creativity in the early years produces a wide and eclectic gallery of artworks.

Reflections on bibliographic Research for the Essay:                                        
Can a child be considered a multimedia artist in the 21st century?  How creativity in the early years produces a wide and eclectic gallery of artworks.
The challenging aspects of academic research are those of finding sources that are close to the topic proposed. This aspect immediately sheds light on how much research has been undertaken on the topic and from what perspectives. It is a great way to focus on what one wants to write and it challenges curiosity and interest. Of course, no matter how good one’s ideas and concepts are on the topic they need to be backed up by evidence so here comes the difficult part: are my ideas challenging to the point that they are new and forward thinking proposals? How can I document this? Alternatively, can I propose questions and challenges that provoke the reader to consider my research as valid?
In my quest for sources, I have encountered a fairly wide selection of documentation that span from videos to books to journal articles satisfying my curiosity and making me challenge my own thought patterns. As I would like to prove that creativity is an instinct I have found different approaches and research that state that it can be, but only from some sources.  A lot has been written on the psychology of art but little on children’s art if not on the developmental stages. Now the time has come for further research and documentation on these allowing new perspectives to be viewed. My goal is to analyse and question from an argumentative perspective. Here are my considerations:
          Argumentative Approach: Many see children’s art as experiments and exercises in hand eye coordination, stepping-stones to higher graphic expressions. Could they instead be seen as artworks that expand in themes, techniques and processes of high quality?
  • How does creativity evolve in childhood?
  • What characteristics do children and artists share?
  • Creativity: what stays and what disappears?
  • Is creativity an instinct?
  • Modernist concepts have shaped the way we produce and look at art. Children’s art is viewed and set as an example of the creative impulse.
  • The Reggio Emilia Educational Approach has shed light on the creative energy and importance of the visual arts in childhood. Multimedia tools play an important part in the curriculum placing the child in the modern and fast flowing lane of technology. Does the child ability with these tools qualify him/her as a connoisseur? An artist or an emerging expert?
Has the 21st century in its social, economic and cultural contexts helped mould the child into a creatively versatile artist?
My most inspirational source so far has been Jung on Art by Tjeu van den Berk and The Arts and the Creation of Mind by Elliot W. Eisner. Not only do these texts support my theme and argument but also they have opened my mind to a very new perspective of the mind at work in art and in art education.
As always, Creative Confessions Paul Klee is my most inspirational text. In it, I find refuge, support and enlightenment.
Special thanks go to my tutor Alessandra Campoli and all my course peers for their support in giving me meaningful feedback and inspiration. Like credits in a film, their collaboration takes up a great and important part of my research so far. Questions on divergent/convergent thinking or the disappearance of creativity during the school years have been food for thought. How others view and read my statements, questions and theories are of invaluable assistance. One last source that is constantly keeping me on my toes is Research Gate, a wonderful platform for asking theme related questions and receive answers from academics around the world that engage in different fields.

Sources
Eisner, E. (2011). The arts and the creation of mind. New Haven [u.a.]: Yale Univ. Press.
Klee, P. (2013). Creative Confession - Paul Klee. New York: Tate Enterprises Ltd.
 ResearchGate. (2017). ResearchGate - Share and discover research. [online] Available at: https://www.researchgate.net [Accessed 1 Aug. 2017]
 Van den Berk, T. and Galama, P. (2012). Jung on art. Hove [England]: Routledge.

Comments

Popular Posts